Running unit test by make <module>

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at libreoffice.org
Sun Nov 12 17:29:52 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 09:40:41PM +0100, Zolnai Tamás wrote:
> I meant a configure option what you can add to autogen.input and so you
> don't need to type make <module>.build or make build-nocheck, but use the
> simple "make" for building and make check for run a build with tests, but
> never mind I solve it locally.

Please dont. There have been endless bikeshed on which target do what and
everytime you change something there will be another (unproductive) one. And it
will take at least 6 month until all the documentation and wikipages on the
build are again reflecting the status quo.

Furthermore, this isnt about configuration, but about build targets -- so it
doesnt belong to autoconf (which already does way to many things anyway).

As others have pointed out, the targets you are looking for are available. If
you dont like how they are named, please just create yourself some function or
alias in your local ~/.bashrc, but do not force this on the rest of the world[1].

Best,

Bjoern

[1] The _only_ reason to change the meaning of common targets at all is to move them
    towards the most widely accepted expectations. And that would be to resemble:
    http://airs.com/ian/configure/
    as closly as possible. OTOH, better fitting someones personal taste is NOT a
    good reason for change.
    And even in the case of moving towards what autotools would do, the main
    task is hunting down and updating all preexisting LibreOffice build
    documentation in wikis, askbot, repos and articles and adapt that.
    Without the latter, such a change would STILL be a net negative.