Some points on clang-format usage

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Nov 17 14:48:43 UTC 2017

On 11/17/2017 12:19 PM, Miklos Vajna wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 11:16:13AM +0100, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
>> ...which might be reason enough to still revisit the .clang-format rule that
>> causes leading commas, if that wrecks such havoc with comments?
>
> I think BreakConstructorInitializersBeforeComma is the relevant key.
> Setting it to false would not be controversial, it would just mean we
> leave that area alone, I believe.

So among
BreakConstructorInitializers:{BeforeColon,BeforeComma,AfterColon} and
ConstructorInitializerAllOnOneLineOrOnePerLine:{false,true} there
appears to be no setting that both (a) consistently places each
initializer on a line of its own (the current behaviour IIUC; beneficial
for small diffs when modifying an initializer list) and (b) puts the
comma after the initializer (which would be beneficial for preserving
trailing comment placement).

Shrug.