A proposal for separate English localization

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 12:16:01 UTC 2017

On 10/16/2017 10:08 AM, David Tardon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 09:31:41PM +0000, Kaganski Mike wrote:
>> 3. Any change in English translation (not in immutable source strings!)
>> would trigger all other translations of this string to become fuzzy
>> (thus not loosing previous translation, but just signaling the
>> requirement to review).
>
> Wouldn't it be better to aim just for this and skip the hassle of adding
> a separate English translation?

Well, I'm not sure how that solution would help to tell apart the two
different situations:
1. When a string is being corrected
2. When a string goes, but another string comes.

First is simply a correction of existing string, that means that the
translations should only review if their old translations are still OK.
Second is when one feature was, e.g., removed from a dialog, but
entirely different feature is added there. This is something that should
be definitely translated by teams independently of some text that could
exist there before.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski