A proposal for separate English localization

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:55:17 UTC 2017

On 10/15/2017 1:44 PM, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
> Why is it only obvious to me that creating a separate “English locale”
> (IOW, a complete copy of the source strings which would have to be kept
> in sync and coherent at all times) is not sustainable?

Why kept coherent all times? Initially the strings both in source, and
in locale, would be the same. But imagine a pair like this:

     source             locale
"do foo action"    "do foo action"

The source string is the key for all translations, and is kept immutable
after creation. But the localization string might change later, e.g. to
be consistent, like this:

     source             locale
"do foo action"    "Do Foo action"

so they go out of sync.

Why not sustainable? Actually, we somehow expect all of our translations
to be kept in sync (as well as possible); so why do we think about this
one differently? Actually we have multiple places in code that should be
kept synchronized at all times, and this works well (e.g., some
enumeration values); and if the sync state is being checked at compile
time (like some plugin maybe), this is absolutely possible.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski