A proposal for separate English localization

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sat Oct 21 23:23:57 UTC 2017

On 21/10/17 23:44, jonathon wrote:
> On 10/21/2017 09:16 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
>
>> I think you mean users of the Scots language. Not to be confused with the language of the Scots.
>
> There is a dialect of English called Scottish English.  It is a
> combination of Gaelic and English.

And what relation is that to the language Scots? Which is what the
people from lowland Scotland speak (and they're not Scots, despite being
Scottish :-)

To confuse matters even further, we all know Nova Scotia (or "New
Scotland"). But where is Scotia? :-)

>> Sassenachs - ie Angles - speak Scots. Scots speak Gaelic. (And it's the
>> Saxons who speak English :-)
>
> And the Celts speak?

Welsh - which I believe was the name given by the Anglo-Saxons to the
inhabitants of Britain before they arrived.

It then got repurposed by Normans - or maybe Wales was not part of
England at the time of the Conquest.

I'm more interested in the Scottish side of things, but what is
noticeable is that in the 10th and 11th centuries Britain was coalescing
into a single nation, and William rather mucked things up. Edward the
Confessor *allegedly* made him his heir (not something Edward had the
power to do), and William and his successors took this as a claim to all
of Britain despite Edward only being King of the South East (okay, most
of it :-).

If it wasn't for William, the remaining kingdoms might well have merged,
rather than been forcibly joined by conquest. The English kings were
elected, which is sort of how the last great merger before the Conquest
took place.

Cheers,
Wol