How to run multiple instances of Writer simultaneously?

Jens Tröger jens.troeger at light-speed.de
Mon Oct 23 03:32:37 UTC 2017

Hi again :)

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. Running multiple Writers in the same (single) soffice.bin process seems to incur noticeable performance penalties. Therefore, in order to run several soffice.bin processes:

  - Get a uuid string.
  - Create random folder in /tmp/soffice-dir-uuid for the soffice.bin process.
  - Optional as Matthew Francis suggested: copy a cached soffice folder into /tmp/soffice-dir-uuid (to improve startup performance).
  - Run soffice --headless --accept="pipe,name=soffice-pipe-uuid;urp;StarOffice.ServiceManager" -env:UserInstallation=file:///tmp/soffice-dir-uuid  (Or call /path/to/soffice.bin directly.)

This allows me to run multiple processes of soffice, each of which services a single Writer. Is that how it should be done?

I'm curious: it sounded as if multi-threading within a single soffice.bin process is an issue. Any more details on that?

Thanks!
Jens

--
Jens Tröger