remarks about development wiki / LODE

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Fri Apr 13 17:54:29 UTC 2018

On 05/04/18 01:24, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Hi Dennis,

I know I'm late to the party, but ...

> Dennis Roczek wrote:
>> If this "tutorial" is for newbees, then tell them that Windows 7+ is
>> supported, otherwise some might come with an old Windows XP or even
>> stranger system.
>>
> Very well, added that. ;)

Might it be better to say "All versions of Windows currently supported
by Microsoft"?

What will happen when MS drop support for Win7? I'm sure it will bitrot
fairly quickly, and this will save somebody from forgetting to update
the wiki :-)

>> For this a general overview is often missing. (This is not a rant
>> saying the TDF should do that, this is simply a rant!)
>>
> Concretely, what for? For the code itself, that's a truly hard problem
> (with people like Chris trying to tackle it via book writing).

Maybe Dennis can write one?

Writing wikis is hard ... (I should know - for my pains I've volunteered
as editor for one :-) but I do agree with Dennis a bit - even a
one-screen overview telling people where to look for more detail would
be great.

Simple rule - if a single chunk of text (be it code, wiki, whatever)
doesn't fit on one screen in a decent-size font, it's too big :-)

Cheers,
Wol