Implementing accessibility non-regression check tool

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 15:36:44 UTC 2018

On 22.02.2018 16:13, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann, on jeu. 22 févr. 2018 15:49:40 +0100, wrote:
>> That's four different ways how to build external/lxml, and slightly more
>> different ways (using the system lxml versus external/lxml) how to run the
>> gla11y tool in solenv/gbuild/UIConfig.mk.  And getting all those ways to
>> work, on the different platforms, will be hell.
[...]
> (and the current building issue reported in gerrit 50115 is merely that
> the current LO python3 module doesn't install any header file or such)

...and that's only the start, I guess. :)  I have e.g. no idea
whether/how it's possible to tell that lxml setup.py which
libxml2/libxslt to use.  (And whether e.g. the
external/{libxml2,libxslt} case will require some extra scaffolding at
the calling site of gla11y in UIConfig.mk.)

Just be warned. ;)

>> Isn't there another option to make that gla11y tool process XML data, one
>> that better matches LO's needs?
>
> Well, we can reimplement the world for sure.
>
> More seriously, we can of course at least depend only on libxml2. Not
> depending on a higher-level library, however, means to have to
> reimplement all the tree browsing functions needed to reach the pieces
> of .ui files.  And avoiding python means, writing all of this in C?
> That's neither fun nor easy to extend for further .ui checking.  The
> eventual script we plan to integrate is only about 300 lines of python.
> I'm scared by the maintenance of the equivalent without using python and
> lxml more than maintenance of building lxml.

I was more hoping that there might be an established plain Python option
for XML processing?