Minutes from the design meeting 2018-Jan-03

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Jan 3 21:20:09 UTC 2018

On 03/01/18 20:48, Heiko Tietze wrote:
>    => questionable color names are gold, brick, magenta, indigo, teal, lime
>       opinions are welcome

Does a pantone standard exist? Can we use it?

If so, that would presumably make the most sense. From what I can see,
Pantone define colours in both CMYK, and RGB, so provided we just take
their RGB value and describe it as their colour - eg "Pantone Gold" -
there can't be a problem.

The wiki page about them does say they are (deliberately) unclear about
their legal rights and what is permitted, so it sounds like creating a
complete pantone picklist could be dangerous territory, but simply
saying "We have used Pantone color names where applicable" is going to
be pretty blatant fair use.

I think names like the above are pretty standard, anyway ...

Cheers,
Wol