[Libreoffice-commits] core.git: Revert "g: ignore submodule changes"

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 08:10:47 UTC 2018

On 14/03/18 16:04, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Just a heads-up:  If you want to get rid of those "submodule.*.ignore all"
>> configurations in your existing git repo clones, you need to do that
>> manually.
>
> But think twice before you do.
> There should be ~no reason to manually change a submodule's reference point.

Well, what happened at least occasionally for me is that I have a
current git master checkout (with submodules), then do

$ git fetch ... && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

to switch to some Gerrit change that I want to modify (that happens to
move submodule references back to older revisions, but I forget to do
`git submodule update`), then do some modifications, and both

$ git status

and

$ git diff

only show the modifications that I made, not the changes to the
submodules, but

$ git add -u && git commit --amend

will make the unintended changes to the submodules end up in the amended
commit, too.

Without that unhelpful "submodule.*.ignore all" configuration, `git
status` and `git diff` would have shown the changes to the submodules
too, and would have told me to be careful with the `git add -u`.