GSoc Project Proposal

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Mar 17 14:03:21 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 11:49:10AM +0100, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Some random thoughts:
> * CPAL talks about palette index, which might be a problem (e.g. tdf#115291)

I don’t think this is relevant; the palette colors are defined inside
the CPAL table itself, no external data is referenced.

> * CPAL/COLR looks like a proprietary MS implementation to me

They are part of the OpenType spec.

> * SVG gradients are not fully supported yet (would be another GSoC
>   project), neither animation I guess

We get the same SVG quality as we currently get rendering embedded SVG
documents, that is good enough I think.

> * I wonder what happens when font color is changed from automatic to
> red, for instance. Could be a) resulting in one color, or b) inverted
> (red -> turquoise), or c) added (RGB + R). Alternatively, font color
> could be ignored.

Glyph layers either use a specific color or text color but not
both, the choice is encoded in the COLR table.

Regards,
Khaled