GSoC project on LibreOffice Online Admin

Pranav Kant pranavk at collabora.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 14:41:17 UTC 2018

Hi Kunal,

On 24/03/18 19:56, Kunal Gehlot wrote:
> Hello,
> I am Kunal Gehlot, from India. I'm a first year Engineering student and am
> relatively new to development and coding. I would like to talk to you about
> developing on Admin console as a GSoC project.

Your first step should be to build LibreOffice and then its Online component.
And then open a document and being able to see it reflected in the admin
console. There's some information here that might be useful to you, if you
haven't already built and run Online.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice_Online

Please don't hesitate to ask further. You can either hang out on
#libreoffice-dev on freenode or ask questions on our mailing list (CCed). Happy
to help you cross that first hurdle :)

> I could not find much information on the plan but I see there's an abandoned
> history view development and admin console needs to be simplified by merging two
> sets of codes. I am thinking of working in that direction and would like to
> learn more on the topic.

I would suggest you to first start looking at some of the easy hacks (look for
the link above) - after buildling Online successfully - to get your hands dirty
with the relevant code. It's also important for us to be able to consider you
for GSoC.

Resurrecting the history view is one of the tasks in the 'Online Admin' project
and it's one of the least prioritized tasks. We would want to make you work on
new features instead. So, all the points above the history view on the wiki page
you saw are the ones that should be on your radar. Please play a little with the
admin console first to be able to get a more clear idea of what exactly those
tasks are. Happy to answer any specific questions thereafter that comes to your
mind :)

--
Regards,
Pranav