remarks about development wiki / LODE
joerg.kubitz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 27 14:52:20 UTC 2018
i wanna share my experience with the wiki  and  to help improve it.
It was a very frustrating task get the complier running and i wish no
one else would step in so many pitfalls as i did.
 suggests to not read any further but goto .
However going through  reveald i would have better read  first:
1. email: "Please do not make functional changes to this page, but send
an email instead." Thats what i am doing now. Forgive me if this is not
be the right mailinglist to send the email to. But it does not tell an
email address :-( Also it is unclear a wiki should not be modified.
2. cygwin: "Now download and run the |install_cygwin.ps1| script as
mentioned below.|". It would help if the document could be read from top
to bottom instead of jumping around.
3. When saving the script with firefox its name is
"bin_install_cygwin.ps1" (the prefix "bin_" is unwanted). Its not
helpfull to know where to not store it. Instead the wiki should clearly
tell where to store it (|C:\cyginstall\||install_cygwin.ps1)
|4. Supported Platforms: What about windows? This document is about
installing in windows but it doesnt say which windows Version but lists
5. cloning lode: "Clone the lode git repo" and running will lead to
"$'\r': command not found" (explained in  only)
6. "./setup --prereq" will fail with "Error:Unsupported
base_os:MINGW64_NT-10.0" if using VS2017 when "8.1 SDK" is not yet
installed (explained in  only)
7. Using "Visual Studio 2017 ": configure wont find al.exe even though
it is installed (in another sub directory then expected by
8. Using "Visual Studio 2015 " (as suggested by ) Its not explained
one will need to manually select feature "Programming language Visual
C++". The error is "cl.exe not foun".
9. www.nasm.us (referenced in "lode\bin\utils_Cygwin.sh" ) was down.
Would help to have a mirror of all referenced files on a single server
10. After installing cygwin with |install_cygwin.ps1 |the packages flex,
ant and zip are missing. They are listed in the script and the script
finished without error however i had to manually add them using
"C:\cyginstall\packages\setup-x86_64.exe" Unclear which version i should
choose (maybe cygwin did not know either?).
Finaly make is running now. I suggest to write a simpified "getting
started" wiki for installing under windows without any unclear
preconditions nor sidesteps. Just get it installed somehow with a single
batch file. Or even supply a preconfigured VM image or Docker Container
would be nice.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the LibreOffice