LibreOffice Impress Presentation Server

Sergi Baila sergibaila at protonmail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:26:33 UTC 2018

Thanks for the responses to my previous mail. Below I'm replying to specific messages. I have some paths to research now.

> From: Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
> Can you build this on top of
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Impress_Remote_Protocol?

I've seen that. It's interesting and certainly does solve some of my requirements so It's worth a deeper look. I'll do it. Thanks for the clue.

> From: Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org

> Pretty much anything in LibreOffice can be remote-controlled from a
> different process (even from a different box), via a protocol called
> UNO (quite similar to COM).
>
> Here's an example in python (but the UNO API calls are really quite
> similar for Java):
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33092424/control-libreoffice-impress-from-python

Very interesting. Thanks for the reference. I will certainly use that.

> That leaves the question on how to dynamically generate slide content,
> but that also works via UNO (you can even send Impress files over the
> wire). There's documentation for that, e.g. Andrew's macro book linked
> from the article above: http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Thanks. Each POS station will have some files ready to send so the sending of files over the wire seems a perfect fit.