Changing old commit message

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Wed Nov 14 12:15:10 UTC 2018

Hi Gülşah,

On 14/11/2018 11:57, Gülşah Köse wrote:
> I'd like to ask you about a topic. When Mert closed some bugs about
> Android that were sponsored by Pardus, I noticed that the commit message
> was wrong (They want [Pardus] is to be written in commit message) and
> the patch was merged.

	Ok.

> Although the bugs are solved, they do not pay for
> this reason. I know that it is possible to change the old commit
> messages.

	It is not possible to change old commit messages without pushing an
entirely new tree that re-writes all subsequent commit hashes.
Re-writing all subsequent commit hashes is something that can break a
lot of other tooling for other people. How long ago (far back in the
commit chain were those commits?)

> But I want to know if you let me do this in LibreOffice. If
> not, please state the reason. I'il pass it on to Pardus.

	Clearly it is important to everyone that you get paid for work done.

	One way around this problem can be to add git notes. These are seen by
people who update the notes - and provide exactly this a way to annotate
commits.

	$ man git-notes

	But also be aware that merging git notes is horribly slow - so you want
to add the git note and push it ASAP. Caolan is an expert user there
since we use it to annotate AOO commits.

	I suspect that we should prolly get a formalized flow to credit commits
to a given entity when they're submitted by someone else - and hack that
into our gitdm tooling at some stage - so using some (future)
machine-readable format would be a good example there; eg. [Pardus].

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
michael.meeks at collabora.com <><, GM Collabora Productivity