Changing soffice.bin to be console application on Windows

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:38:07 UTC 2018

Hi!

Currently soffice.bin on Windows is built with subsystem set to GUI.
This creates a number of problems, including impossibility to output
--version/--help into a text using command like

soffice --help > somefile

(or do similar things piping the output to other commands in batch
files); absence of debug output in the console (if not launching from
cygwin).

I have prepared a patch making soffice.bin a proper console Windows
application: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/63572. The patch also
introduces a new launcher soffice.com (in addition to existing
soffice.exe). That is to make possible to call soffice from command
line, and have proper console launcher for that call.

I now ask for opinions from those who might know (or suspect) why that
is a wrong move. Thank you for reviews/opinions!

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski