text frame selection

Armin Le Grand armin_le_grand at me.com
Fri Nov 30 10:12:10 UTC 2018

Hi Michael,

Am 26-Oct-18 um 10:45 schrieb Michael Meeks:
> Hi Armin,
>
> 	Is there a good reason why - when you are in a slide - and you click
> inside a text box to edit; the frame is not selected such that you
> cannot see it, or grab its handles, or resize / move it around easily ?
> even being aware it is there is not trivial.
>
> 	The behavior here is somewhat unexpected and unfamiliar to me. Of
> course after some years of suffering (a bit at least) - I happen to know
> that in order to re-position the text it is necessary to click around
> above the top-most text - trying to guess where the hit-area is in order
> to select the text frame, and then you can move it around but ... ;-)
> Empirically this is not true for most people - some are not good at
> guessing the location of invisible frames.

You can just press ESC - that will go from TextEdit to ObjectSelected.
...and then RETURN again to go back to TextEdit (and CTRL+RETURN to go
to the next TextBox BTW)

> 	Is there any particularly good reason for that ? I hate to see
> customers complain about this ;-) and presumably the fix is not terribly
> hard, but ... I thought you might have some insight into the historic
> thinking here ! =)

There was - the EditEngine was the last part in Draw/Impress that *had*
to paint to OutDev directly in EditMode - no Buffering, no Overlay. A
very special, exceptional state to be in. This is internally gone for a
while with using 'TextEdit on the Overlay' (grep for log). So now it
would be possible to cleanup these 'special state' stuff and offer thje
handles/frame just in parallell to TextEdit.
Just tell me when you have budget for this :-)

> 	Thanks !
>
> 		Michael.

You're welcome!
alg

--
ALG (PGP Key: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)