Upstream clang compiler plugins, licensing

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Wed Oct 10 10:53:22 UTC 2018

On Sunday 07 of October 2018, Tamás Zolnai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I plan to work on clang static analyzer in the next monthes and I'm
> wondering whether how we can move some of the LO's compiler plugins to
> upstream.
>
> As I see LO's license is not compatible with LLVM license [1], as LLVM
> license is a more permissive license which allows to make the code part of
> a proprietary software for example. So I just wonder what is the best way
> to integrate things to clang from LO, either as a compiler plugin or a
> static analyzer check.
>
> An idea might be to relicense the compilerplugin code with the LLVM
> license, which means additional administration of course, but would make
> reusing the code much easier. However I'm not sure this is the best way to
> solve this licensing incompatibility.

 Yes, that's the right idea. In fact all the plugins should be LLVM-licensed,
that's the way I started it and e.g. plugin.* explicitly specifies that
license. It doesn't even really make sense to use any other license for this
code, I expect people just copy&pasted the generic LO header without thinking
about it.

 As far as I'm concerned, just ask everyone involved to change the license to
LLVM's and if somebody disagrees, nuke that code (unless that somebody would
have a good reason for it, which I doubt).

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com