Cppcheck: Reduction of False Positives: Manual Approach

Luke Benes lukebenes at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:40:33 UTC 2018

In my first attempt to improve the quality of the cppcheck reports,  Tamás Zolnai pointed out that including every possible header resulted in some valid warnings not being reported.

Instead, how about just including only our primary include folder of ./include with the '-Iinclude' parameter? This reduced the warnings from 4005 to 523.

You can see and compare the results by opening the 'index.html' file at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HaCVA_udd044uwRNn3RiyGJ01pQdYjwn

It seems many valid variableScope warnings are still being omitted. I'm still looking into that. Are there any other categories of valid errors that are missing? Specific examples would be helpful.

Overall, does this report have a higher signal-to-noise ratio than our current weekly report?

The full command to generate the report was:
../cppcheck/cppcheck -D__GNUC__ -DBOOST_ERROR_CODE_HEADER_ONLY -DBOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED -DCPPU_ENV=gcc3 -DLINUX -DNDEBUG -DOSL_DEBUG_LEVEL=0 -DUNIX -DUNX -DX86_64 -D_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -j4 -i external/ -i workdir/ -Iinclude --xml --suppressions-list=cppcheck_supp.txt --enable=all --max-configs=100  ./  2> ./err.xml