Cppcheck: Reduction of False Positives: Manual Approach

Luke Benes lukebenes at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:55:32 UTC 2018

> It was mentioned that the correct way is to generate the proper project
> structure for cppcheck using our existing tools that generate IDE
> integrations (and they have correct include correct includes, deps and all).

Mike,
Yes, agreed. But AFAIK, no one other than me is looking into this. Quite a few issues with the GbuildToIDE approach need to be solved.

In the meantime, our current cppcheck script generates tens of thousands of config errors (if run with check-config or verbose),reports hundred or possibly thousands of false positives, and is being called with depreciated parameters. These issues can be fixed now.

I am in the process of going through past cppcheck related commits to verify how many, if any at all, would be missed had we been using the '-I include/' parameter.  So far, I have not identified any. If the consensus is that you do want to improve the script with the manual approach, I will not continue testing. Please advise.

However, keep in mind that from the GbuildToJson output, any framework that is built in the future will also call cppcheck with the '-I include/' parameter. Therefore, if there is a bug with cppcheck not reporting valid errors when called this way, then that approach too will suffer too.