Marker problems for high resolution screen

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sun Oct 28 22:30:59 UTC 2018

Hi Tomaž,

Tomaž Vajngerl schrieb am 28-Oct-18 um 09:46:
> Hi Regina,
[..]
> Right, I extracted the markers to single files just because of that
> reason. Multiple markers in one image file makes it hard - not only
> for HiDPI, but also for SVG icons, and there are practically no
> benefits to have them in one file (not even for the icon designers).

Do you use the SVG files to generate the PNG files? If yes, using what tool?

>> For cropmarkers.png such single files are not used. Here you get the
>> enlarged file with size 229x94 instead of the original size 153x63 for
>> my 150% example and therefore really ugly handles.
>
> Yes, I forgot the crop markers - it makes sense to extract them to its
> own files too.
>
>> Why do the delivered icon-themes do not contain the single markers? That
>> would at least solve the problem for markers until a more general fix is
>> available.
>
> Single markers icon filename is constructed at runtime and then loaded
> with vcl::bitmap::loadFromName, so the markers are not included in any
> resource files (svx/inc/bitmaps.hlst for example). When packing the
> icon themes together we copy only the icons that are contained in the
> resource file so the single markers are left out. When I have written
> that code I was not aware of this yet. So the solution is to add them
> to a resource file and leave the code as is (something might complain
> that the resource is not used?) or in addition also change the code to
> use the resource mechanism to load the bitmap too (which means that a
> huge switch file will be needed or a struct with all the parameters, a
> custom hash function and every combination in an unordered_map). Only
> adding them to a resource file should solve the problem I think.

I have added the file names to bitmaps.hlst.
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/62488/
Then the needed files are included in the image_xxx.zip files and the
correct markers are generated into the cache folder. I have tested it
with scaling 150% on Windows 10.

But I cannot finally test it, because I cannot test the behavior with
OpenGL enabled. On my PC, LibreOffice crashes with enabled OpenGL. And I
cannot test on Mac.

So in case including these files is desired, someone else needs to do
further tests.

Kind regards
Regina