[GSoC] Subpixel glyph positioning - Looking for a mentor

Alexander Farrow alexanderfarrow at tutanota.com
Thu Apr 4 16:56:54 UTC 2019

Hi Jan-Marek,

Thank you for your reply.

        I have added some potential mentors, which are normally also interested in font
        rendering. As much as I could potentially do some mentoring, as I know a share
        of SalLayout and VCL, I have just minimal idea about text rendering, mainly from
        the time writing the Qt5 VCL backend. I'm willing to do some larger share of it.
        Someone of you want to share?

I'm extremely glad to hear that you are happy to be a mentor for this project, as
I am very keen to continue working on this for GSoC. Thank you for CC'ing Mike and
Khaled, hopefully we can find another mentor to join us on this project.

        There is also https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/62219 <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/62219>

        Interesting post for a different problem with the same solution: Getting real
        linearly-scalable text
        (https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2008-May/014149.html <https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2008-May/014149.html>)
        But it's also 10 years old...

        The image link still works and show the (potentially long fixed?) problem
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/behdad/2493693932/sizes/o <https://www.flickr.com/photos/behdad/2493693932/sizes/o>

        Then there is
        https://www.unicodeconference.org/presentations/S5T2-Röttsches-Esfahbod.pdf <https://www.unicodeconference.org/presentations/S5T2-Röttsches-Esfahbod.pdf>
        - that's from 2016.
        It's not about positioning, but a nice overview of Chromes text rendering
        evolution, as Behdad Esfahbod is working for Google for quite some time.

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a read through. Any resources regarding text
rendering are greatly appreciated.

I've continued familiarising myself with the text layout code and I've got a couple
of simple patches to submit for review. I've finished looking into how to change
GlyphItem to use floating point values for glyph positioning and I'm now looking
into how to change DeviceCoordinate from a long to a double.

I think to move forward with the project the next step is to get the proposal finished
and submitted. I've got the first draft ready and although it is a WIP I was wondering
if I could send it to you for some feedback?

I look forward to working with you on this project.

Thanks,
Alex (IRC: AlexanderFarrow)