Gitiles VCS browser

Guilhem Moulin guilhem at libreoffice.org
Fri Apr 5 16:33:06 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 16:24:49 +0000, Luke Benes wrote:
> In his last email, Mike explains how the gitiles timestamps lead to
> confusion. This is a serious problem for my use case.

You mean https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2018-November/081343.html ?
This was addressed on Nov 9…  *author* names are shown along with
*committer* dates in /+log/…?pretty=oneline views (i.e. the default log
view).  Which timestamps are still confusing?

> When I asked for feedback on the IRC dev channel, no one voiced
> preference for gitiles. I only heard agreement that the URLs and log
> format are inferior to cgit's.

Was there more to it than these 3 messages from Fri, 15 Mar around 19:00 CET?

    18:59:02 < slacka123> what are people's thoughts on gitiles vs cgit? There
                          are a few issues that annoy me, like the format for
                          logs and the "^!" symbols that it appends on the end
                          of the URLs, making copy/paste of commit id's a pain
    19:00:09 < slacka123> last message on the dev list was talk of putting cgit
                          back as default commit bot. Would people like to see
                          cgit back?
    19:09:10 <@erAck>     slacka123: the ^! is a tad annoying, but I don't mind
                          that much, once followed there's the raw commit ID as
                          well; the log was clearer with cgit

I might have missed part of the exchange, because from the above I'd say
that your conclusion is quite a stretch.  Moreover IRC isn't really
great for doing polls, especially on Friday evenings :-)

That said the plan with gitiles was to replace gitweb, not cgit, which
is not hosted nor maintained by TDF anyway.  For what it's worth, Björn
asked for the notification change in <20181028095501.GA21770 at skorpion>.

--
Guilhem.