SystemDependentDataBuffer bits ...

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Fri Apr 26 12:43:31 UTC 2019

Hi Michael,

let me jump in for the moment -

Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	It seems odd that just typing in writer should be so rapidly creating
> and destroying these cached items.

Right - IIRC that was very trivial hairlines there, not much value in
buffering that -

> 	* should we not disable the SystemDependentDataBuffer ie.
> 	  remove:
>
>                 if(maEntries.empty() && maTimer)
>                     maTimer->Stop();
>
> 	  from there we can stop ourselves in the timeout if necessary.

Not sure I get the question - surely disabling the timer helps to get
scheduler load down? As this code is already inside implTimeoutHdl().

> 	Armin - any thoughts on whether this is truly necessary for
> 	simple polylines ? (is it to cache the winding / self
> 	intersection stuff ? )

Yeah, let's cut off trivial cases from being buffered - but that
should be easy to do in the vcl sal layer. There's already some code
to estimate byte size of the buffered item, can perhaps be extended
with other metrics, and then have some limit below that we simply
don't care.

Just a bit concerned we'd flip-flop between optimizing for different
cases here - some perf test rig would be ideal I guess..

Cheers,

-- Thorsten