tdf#126728: About FTP proxy settings on KDE5

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Wed Aug 7 15:39:23 UTC 2019

On 07.08.19 16:57, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 07/08/2019 16:33, julien2412 wrote:
>> Thank you Stephan for your feedback.
>> I don't have any backtrace. However I "suppose" it's called from
>> readKDESettings (see
>> https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/shell/source/backends/kf5be/kf5backend.cxx?r=90294b46#151).
>>
>> This one is called from initQApp and Service Ctor (still in
>> kf5backend.cxx)
>
> So you can't reproduce the bug yourself?  (Which likely makes it harder
> to fix it properly.)
>
> So all those settings are determined upfront there, instead of only as
> needed.  That may be a reasonable thing to change.

there's a nontrivial requirement on a Qt main-loop.

commit 5a64bc2b1214e6ad8424f57576aa5752a09815d4
Author:     Katarina Behrens <Katarina.Behrens at cib.de>
AuthorDate: Tue Apr 16 09:47:31 2019 +0200

     Stop qt event loop after KDE settings have been read

     Two use-cases here in kde5backend
     1) kde or qt vclplug has already started qt event loop => just use this
     loop to read KDE settings
     2) no qt event loop runs (we're most likely in gtk3_kde5 vclplug) =>
     start a new event loop, read the settings and stop it

     In case 2) letting qt event loop run means subsequently all UI ops
     need to happen in main thread. This is problematic to enforce in
     non-qt-based vclplugs

     In both cases, cache those settings for future use - the assumption is,
     most of them are static during a session anyway.

... however it appears easy to speed it up by a factor of 3 because it
turns out this commit is missing in libreoffice-6-2 branch:

commit cc191e4f5da18c3b223316f39aac23003ca54671
Author:     Katarina Behrens <Katarina.Behrens at cib.de>

     Fix wrong proxy setting URLs in kde5backend