How to handle a testing only python package dependency

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.com
Fri Aug 16 07:31:39 UTC 2019

Hi Markus,

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 03:24:19AM +0800, Markus Mohrhard <markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> What is our policy about python packages that are actually not needed for
> an installed LibreOffice?

I think most build-time dependencies are simply mandated by configure,
and then either provided manually or via lode (think of doxygen, gperf,
etc.)

> My current solution would be to add an explicit ImportError check in the
> script and tell the person calling the script to install the package. As
> this is mostly something for a few selected QA team members this seems like
> an acceptable solution.
>
> Any other solutions/opinions?

Sounds good to me. It's similar to e.g. bin/find-unneeded-includes,
where the few ones who actually use it will take care of installing the
underlying dependency and others are not forced to install it.

Regards,

Miklos