We'd like to continue the production of the 32-bit deb packages

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 12:38:52 UTC 2019

On 16/08/2019 20:43, dreamnext at gmail.com wrote:
> What we did if after a ‘make’ with errors, we had to ran ‘make
> build-nocheck’ to be able to bypass those errors on a Debian 10 schroot
> environment. This time, the required debs files were produced. However,
> when installing those debs and trying to run LibreOffice on Escuelas
> Linux (the main target distribution) it does not work, as it complains
> about a glibc mismatch version. So, it seems that the generated deb
> files are not distribution-independent as the ones that were previously
> released by The Document Foundation.

Note that producing builds that are compatible with our baseline (as
spelled out in README.md) is a non-trivial endeavour.  You typically do
such builds on a baseline machine to make sure you do not link against
functionality in e.g. libc.so.6 that is only available in newer versions
of that library.  However, a baseline machine typically has a C++
compiler that is too old for our needs, so you need a newer compiler but
which generates code that only links against functionality that is
already available in the baseline libstdc++.so.6 (e.g., by using Red Hat
Developer Toolset).