About putting back Firebird experimental

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 12:51:08 UTC 2019

Le 20/08/2019 à 10:28, Julien a écrit :

Hi Julien,

+1 from me.

As a QA triager, I can but agree with Julien given the current stage of
development. The migration code still fails to handle multiple, basic
elements of embedded hsqldb ODB files found in actual use. If it can't
even do the basics of migration properly, what hope do we have of
convincing users to switch ?

Forcing users to be the unwitting testers (as is currently perceived to
be the case - indeed, I saw such a recrimination in a migration bug
report I dealt with today) of such a system is bound to provoke at best
apathy or resignation, at worst anger, frustration and searching for
another tool that won't trash your data.

Clearly, the work required for the tender by TDF was underestimated. I
see this currently as a kind of unwanted offspring, neither here, nor
there, and certainly not fit for purpose, despite all of the very good
work put in.

Anyway, my 2c as usual.

Alex