Fw: benchmark of Excel, Calc, Google Docs

Aditya Parameswaran adityagp at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 10 17:30:44 UTC 2019

Wols,

Thanks for sharing your concerns, replete with quotes from Einstein :-) !

I believe I share those concerns... but there are of course some liberties
we can take as an academic group that you folks managing a popular
spreadsheet tool cannot take (e.g., doing a proof of concept as opposed to
a robust implementation.)   From a research/academic standpoint it is
valuable to note that something is possible, even if the solution is not
ideal given other pragmatic considerations.  BTW, I don't believe that
anything we're doing *requires* a relational database -- a NoSQL setup
would work just fine.

I'd be happy to discuss more.  Our goal is to understand the stumbling
blocks in translating our work into spreadsheet tools such as Calc and see
how we can best help with what we've learned.

Cheers,
Aditya