what jdk for build?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 20:22:32 UTC 2019

On 13/12/2019 19:48, Terrence Enger wrote:
> I have accumulated a confusing number of jdk's, to the extent that I
> am reduced to trying things at random.  I think that it would be good
> to straighten these out before I ask about my failure building
> LibreOffice Viewer.
>
> My build for Linux has been working with
>      --with-jdk-home=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java
> which points to
>      java-1.11.0-openjdk-amd64
> which I believe simply comes with debian buster.
>
> An early attempt to build Viewer for Android required a 32-bit jdk, so
> I installed debian package
>      openjdk-11-jdk:i386
>
> Places on my system with bin/java which configure has accepted without
> explicit error message as values for --with-jdk-home are
>      /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
>      /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-i386
>      /usr/local/android-studio/jre
>
> Advice welcome.

You appear to wonder whether you should be able to point --with-jdk-home
to a 32-bit Java installation for a 64-bit LO build (on Linux).  No.  At
least some tests run during the LO build would want to load libjvm.so
from the specified --with-jdk-home (propagated via JAVA_HOME environment
variable and UNO_JAVA_JFW_ENV_JREHOME bootstrap variable) into a 64-bit
process, and fail.

I guess configure.ac doesn't check that a Java installation specified
via --with-jdk-home matches the bitness of the LO build.  If that's the
case, feel free to improve that if you see a need for it.