Beginner's question about installing Libreoffice SDK

David Johnson david_johnson58 at outlook.com
Tue Dec 17 11:44:33 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am new to LibreOffice Extension development, and trying to get the first examples that are part of the SDK running on my system. However, so far I failed to do so. Versions of software I use:

* Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
* LibreOffice 6.0.7.3

There is something unclear to me about the instructions to configure the SDK.  I follow the instructions given on page:

* https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/install.html

There they say:

"The SDK provides an implicit configuration mechanism, which configures the SDK build environment to your personal needs the first time you use the SDK environment. This configuration step creates a new setsdkenv_XXX script in the user's home directory:

    $HOME/$OO_SDK_NAME/setsdkenv_unix.sh  -> for Unix
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\%OO_SDK_NAME%\setsdkenv_windows.bat  -> for Windows2000/XP or later

The automatically started configure script (Unix and Windows2000/XP) requests relevant information and directories (SDK, LibreOffice, GNU make, Java, C++), in order to prepare a working SDK environment. After completing the configure script once, the newly created script is always used to set the necessary environment variables for using the SDK and the required tools."

The talk about an "automatically started configure script". I do not know what they mean with "automatically started". I did not see any configuration script that was started automatically. When and by what is that script automatically started?  Is it automatically started when you run "make"? Is it automatically started by installing the .deb package?

I have tried several things:

* cd to the example directory, for example [root of LibreOffice SDK]/opt/libreoffice6.0/sdk/examples/java/Text/, and run "make". I get error messages.
* In [root of LibreOffice SDK] there is a script "setsdkenv_unix". I tried to run it with: "source setsdkenv_unix". However, this produces error messages that suggest that certain environment variables are not yet set.
* In [root of LibreOffice SDK] there is a Perl script "configure.pl". I tried to run it manually: "sudo perl configure.pl". Again, this results in an error message: "/bin/sh: 0: Can't open /config.guess"

Can someone clarify what I am expected to do to get the SDK configured and ready for building the examples?

Any help is much appreciated,

David Johnson