Problem in running make file on Ubuntu 16.04

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 08:14:34 UTC 2019

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux#Performance

> Building LibreOffice takes time, a lot of time. Exactly how much depends on how powerful your machine is

Several lines below, there's "Approximate times" section, telling
someone's experience with some unspecified repo revision, which took 1.5
hrs. I can tell you that I used to have ~8 hrs build time on Kaveri 7700
box with spinning HDD.

You should expect long build times on your laptop. But if you also are
going to do other tasks on it during the build (to increase build times
even more), then you may adjust it using --with-parallelism (discussed
there), which defaults to use all your cores, but which you could want
to set to a lower value to free some resources; or you may run make
using nice (`nice make`) to decrease its priority and make system
responsive to interaction without sacrificing cores.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski