Need for new x86 Jenkin's Bot

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Wed Jun 5 08:13:31 UTC 2019

On 04.06.19 19:23, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Am 04.06.19 um 17:01 schrieb Luke Benes:
>> The decision was to demote release builds, but NOT to remove x86
>> compatibility. If you take this as an excuse to also end x86 CI testing bots,
>> you are effectively killing x86 through bit rot. This is not a hypothetical.
>> As you know, @87 just recently caught a regression introduced by an easyHack
>> to convert use of sal_uLong to better integer types. Without CI testing,
>> these bugs will pile up effectively removing x86 compatibility.
>
> IMHO we should "just" switch one of the Jenkins Linux builds to 32bit, not have
> an other one. Preferable the gcc release one, as that has smaller object size,
> if that is a concern for 32bit (linking etc). Should be fine just to cross-build
> on 64bit in a 32bit chroot.
>
> I remember there were some problems because of a missing 32bit Red Hat Developer
> Toolset needed for the build, which was AFAIK the real reason to get rid of the
> 32bit builds - aehmm. Not sure that is now available.

just to reiterate again, we have a docker container setup that builds on
the same CentOS 7 + DevToolset 7 baseline that the 64-bit builds use;
the toolchain is 64-bit, which helps with the OOM issues that used to
plague the 32-bit build.

https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/lightning_talks/attachments/slides/3334/export/events/attachments/lightning_talks/slides/3334/7_Thorsten.odp