LO Calc - Question About Solver Engines

Steve Fanning stevemfanning at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 21:02:39 UTC 2019

Hi. I am a member of the Documentation Team, currently drafting an updated version of Calc Guide Chapter 9 (Data Analysis) to reflect LO 6.2.

Part of this update is to reflect that there are now two engines available to solve linear programs (lp_solve and CoinMP). The user can switch between engines through a menu on the Options dialog (accessed from the Solver dialog).

Is it possible for a developer with appropriate knowledge to provide me with some indication of why a user might want to use one engine in preference to the other? Are there circumstances in which one is likely to perform better than the other?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Steve Fanning