Regarding Participation in GSOC 2019

Xisco Fauli xiscofauli at libreoffice.org
Tue Mar 12 09:07:37 UTC 2019

Hello,

Please check this page [1] for information about debugging. You can use
'make <module>.clean && make <module> debug=t' if you're only working
with a module of LibreOffice, otherwise, you should use --enable-debug.
The time it takes to build will depend on your computer. For the first
build, I would recommend you to run it overnight, using 'time build' to
see how long it takes. You can find more information on how to speed up
the build here [2]

Once the build is done we suggest you:

* Start with solving some 'beginner' easyHacks [3]
* Solve at least one 'interesting' easyHack
* Start discussing your ideas with possible mentors, and preparing your
proposal
* Don't leave your proposal to the last day. Sooner is better.

Also checking the GSoC ideas page first, and trying to choose the
easyHacks related to your probable idea(s) might be a good idea [4], and
perhaps also the page for ideas without a mentor yet [5].

If you ever get stuck (after doing the usual leg-work (re(search), try,
debug etc.) yourself), please don't hesitate to ask your questions
either on the #libreoffice-dev IRC channel, or on this mailing list.

[1]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_debug#Debugging_options

[2]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux#Performance

[3]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/EasyHacks/by_Required_Skill
[4] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas
[5]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas_without_a_mentor

El 26/2/19 a les 13:26, Gagandeep Singh ha escrit:
> Hi,
>
> I am Gagandeep Singh and I am a junior undergraduate at
> Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. I am looking forward to
> contributing to libreoffice this summer throught GSOC 2019 and would
> love to hear back from you guys.
>
> I have started building libreoffice, though just one question, should
> i use --enable-debug for just doing Easy Hacks, or use it and if yes,
> then, how long would it take to build.
>
> After building it would look at the ideas page and ask the related
> mentors for the tasks. Will this be alright?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Gagandeep Singh

Xisco Faulí
Libreoffice QA Team