Faster Clang plugins

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Tue Mar 12 13:46:27 UTC 2019

 Hello,

 we currently have about 75 checks in our Clang plugin, and as I said in my
talk at the conference, this adds some overhead during compilation (+ ~25%).
During a recent Collabora Hackweek I had a look at trying to merge all their
AST passes into one, which should noticeably reduce the time. I've just
pushed a commit with 25 plugins converted, which drops the overhead to ~17%.
So, 2 things:

- If something breaks there, such as getting needless rebuilds, please
complain :).

- The conversion of the rest of the plugins still should be done, getting the
overhead to estimated ~5%, if all can be converted. I'll try to do these
gradually as time permits, which may take time, so if somebody would like to
help, please feel free to. There's description at the top of
compilerplugins/clang/sharedvisitor/generator.cxx and changes done in
adb08e892b37ea9 should also help (and if necessary, I'll help too).

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com