Java min version for master sources?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue May 21 09:45:24 UTC 2019

On 21/05/2019 11:15, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Increasing the baseline should mainly be a compatible change, as old
> code (e.g., extensions) should continue to work with newer Java
> installations.  The only drawback is that code compiled against the
> newer baseline (e.g., the URE jars from our builds being distributed
> somewhere on the Maven infrastructure?) cannot be used with older Java
> installations.

...and of course we need to bump the minimal supported versions at
jvmfwk/distributions/OpenOfficeorg/javavendors_*.xml (and bump the
<updated> elements there, which entails the inconveniences discussed at
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/6b8a96c421bc4766ed6c11791174689da86fa703%5E!/>
"Note when javavendors_*.xml <updated> should be updated").

And note that we bumped the baseline to Java 6 only rather recently,
during the LO 6.3 timeframe, see
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/49c21e31ce0501044a7d3602379f74c71dabb00b%5E!/>
"Javavendors: Set minimum version to 1.6" and
<https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2019-February/081991.html>
"Minutes of the ESC call 2019-02-07" section "bump java baseline to 1.6
(Samuel, Thorsten)".