[ABANDONED] Remove some excessive log formatting

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Nov 25 10:32:21 UTC 2019

On 23/11/2019 06:27, Chris Sherlock wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2019, at 2:11 am, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Sure, if one is willing to invest in adding sal.osl.noisyarea and reclassifying existing uses.  Which is typically not the case when you do a one-off SAL_LOG=... debug run.  Which is where judicious use of the facility by code authors pays off.
>
> But this brings us back to the use case that you had identified - using SAL_LOG wasn’t the original issue in the patch, incidentally, the issue was use of the tabs in the SAL_LOG. That appears to have been the “misuse” of the logging facility.

No, what I considered a misuse was not the tabs but the intended use of
the SAL_INFOs as you described it in your Code-Review-1 comment at
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/83319/> "Remove some excessive log
formatting".  (The tabs are apparently a relevant part of how you intend
to make use of those SAL_INFOs, given you -1'ed their removal.)  From
this thread here it should be clear that it is OK to disagree with my
considering it a misuse, and to continue with that practice there.