Writing a LibreOffice extension that logs user (and other) events in real-time

Chide Groenouwe cg at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 28 21:55:33 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm new to LibreOffice extension development. To prevent my team and I
investing too much time in studying how to write LibreOffice
extensions, I want to pose a question:

Is it possible to capture/intercept all - or at least most - user
events that occur within LibreOffice by means of an extension, in real-
time? For example, suppose that someone

0) opens a new document in Writer by using the drop-down menu item "New
-> Text Document",
1) types a text,
2) selects a region using the mouse,
3) presses the Italic button (so that the region becomes Italic), and
4) saves the text by pressing Ctrl-s.

Can you log all this information in real-time? Could you even log each
keypress of the user when this user is writing the text? And can you
also differentiate between the different methods that have been used to
accomplish a certain task? For example, can one distinquish between
saving a file by selecting a drop-down menu item, or saving a file by
using the short-cut key Ctrl-s?

Can this also be done for *other* extensions? Can you also log events
that occur within these?

Or should we use another approach to accomplish this all?

(Although not needed for answering the question: If you wonder - the
context has something to do with process mining (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_mining) --  in this case to
optimise software usage...)

Thank you so much in advance,

Chide Groenouwe