Ram disk Scratch Space

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Sep 29 10:23:59 UTC 2019

On 27/09/19 14:28, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> I’m not sure it uses as much as it needs I have seen it max out at
> around 6.1gb I know on gentoo, ok that is a source based distribution, I
> had around 9gb of ram allocated as scratch space which greatly sped up
> compile times.

And are your compile options the same? In particular concerning parallel
compilation?

No, on linux it pulls absolutely everything it needs into cache
(assuming the ram is available) and runs it from there. I notice you
haven't said how much ram your system actually has ...

If you really want to do something of the sort, I guess it might be
using /tmp - is that set up as a tmpfs? Please note that the definition
of /tmp says the contents may be lost at any time, so setting it up as
tmpfs is a *sensible* thing to do. On the other hand, the contents of
/var/tmp are defined as surviving a reboot (for things like crash
recovery) so that should *not* be tmpfs.

I run gentoo, and have a lot of tmpfs defined, but that's so that if
something overflows available ram the compile doesn't need to care about
it - it'll use all the ram available IFF it needs it.

Cheers,
Wol