Fwd: [libreoffice-documentation] Multi-threading in Calc

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Thu Apr 23 10:12:34 UTC 2020

On Thursday 23 of April 2020, Stephen Fanning wrote:
> As for the processing itself, I remain unclear about how Calc allocates
> tasks to threads. Can we give the user any general advice on how he could
> structure his spreadsheet to gain the maximum performance benefits from the
> availability of multiple cores? Or maybe there are ways to organise a
> spreadsheet that will frustrate Calc's attempts to multi-thread, which we
> ought to advise against?

 Technically threads are generally used only for formula groups, which are a
sufficient number of adjacent cells in a column that use the same formula
(and get different results because of relative cell addressing). In UI terms,
write e.g. "=A1*2" to B1, grab the bottom-right corner of the cell and extend
down. But it's implementated this way because that's usually how large
spreadsheets are created. So I think it's a needless complication to be
specific about this.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com