Building skia with clang(-cl)

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 09:00:28 UTC 2020

On 23/04/2020 15:48, Luboš Luňák wrote:
>   Just for completeness, there's one more option, and that's using Clang-cl
> instead of MSVC for everything. E.g. Mozilla does it, it is already possible
> to build LO that way (and I think Stephan does that regularly?).
>
>   I'm not promoting this option though, as there are drawbacks to it too.
> Clang-cl currently builds noticeably more slowly then MSVC with
> enabled-by-default PCHs (for half a year I still haven't managed to get into
> Clang my PCH patches *sigh*), and I don't know how much testing
> Clang-cl-built LO has received. At least at this point it's probably better
> to just go with the gbuild hack I've created.

I routinely make (--enable-dbgutil etc.) builds with clang-cl from a
locally-built LLVM/Clang trunk (i.e., not using whatever Visual Studio
might offer) on Windows.  For quite a while now, they consistently fail
during `make check` in CppunitTest_sc_financial_functions_test and
CppunitTest_sc_mathematical_functions_test, for reasons I have not yet
explored.  (My main motivation for those builds is to have loplugin also
cover Windows-only code.)