Building skia with clang(-cl)

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 09:05:32 UTC 2020

On 24/04/2020 09:47, Mike Kaganski wrote:
> On 23.04.2020 17:42, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
>> Miklos Vajna wrote:
>>> 1) Make the warning more visible, i.e. a yellow warning at the end of
>>> configure, that is actually noticed by most people.
>>>
>>> 2) Make the warning an error in case of release builds (or something
>>> like that).
>>>
>> No objections, but I'd much prefer to have release and normal builds
>> use the same compiler then. If it's easy to add in VS2019, let's make
>> it a prerequisite & fail hard otherwise.
>
> But we don't prevent people building using clang/gcc/msvc in general,
> regardless of the actual compiler used in release?

I think the situation here is more like external/skia needing a specific
compiler unrelated to the compiler used for LO itself, similar to how
some other external projects need a specific build tool unrelated to
LO's gbuild.  (And where you wouldn't want a release build to use cmake
but a dev build to uses gbuild for such a project.)