unowinreg.dll and Win64

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 07:42:17 UTC 2020

On 28/11/2020 17:49, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> I am currently doing some cleanups in my packages and I noticed a
> possible inconsistency...
>
> On Windows 64bit, what is unowinreg.dll supposed to be?
>
> A 64 bit dll? A 32 bit dll?
>
> And what is it supposed to be on Linux x86_64 nowadays?

Traditionally, before the advent of a x86-64 (or even arm64) Windows LO,
unowinreg.dll was intended to always be a 32-bit x86 Windows DLL,
regardless of where and how it was built.  It appears that nobody paid
attention to the implications caused by introduction of Windows LO
versions other than 32-bit x86.  However,
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/107140> "Replace unowinreg.dll
with execution of `reg QUERY`" should make that issue moot now, by
getting rid of unowinreg.dll.