About preparing migration towards gtk4

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Sat Dec 19 14:28:05 UTC 2020

On 19.12.2020 16.14, Dante Doménech wrote:
> El sáb, 19 dic 2020 a las 14:47, Ilmari Lauhakangas
> (<ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
> <mailto:ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org>>) escribió:
>
>     On 18.12.2020 23.46, julien2412 wrote:
>      > Hello,
>      >
>      > Gtk4 has been released 2 days ago, I know that migration from a
>     version to
>      > another version is not a 1 month work, but thought it could be
>     interesting
>      > and it can't hurt the current state of LO to begin to prepare it by
>      > following:
>      >
>     https://developer.gnome.org/gtk4/4.0/gtk-migrating-3-to-4.html#id-1.7.4.3
>     <https://developer.gnome.org/gtk4/4.0/gtk-migrating-3-to-4.html#id-1.7.4.3>.
>      > I don't pretend I'd be able to propose some patches because I
>     know nothing
>      > about gtk but if I find some low hanging fruits, is it ok and/or
>     does it
>      > worth it to submit some?
>      >
>      > Any thoughts?
>
>     This is 404:
>     https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/3.24/api-index-deprecated.html
>     <https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/3.24/api-index-deprecated.html>
>
>     Referenced in
>     https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/blob/master/docs/reference/gtk/migrating-3to4.md
>     <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/blob/master/docs/reference/gtk/migrating-3to4.md>
>
>     Ilmari
>
 > Most linux distributions release versions once a year or two years.
 > I wouldn't expect it to have support until a couple of years.
 > So isn't it a bit early to implement support? I mean, nothing will be
 > compatible with it.

Julien was specifically referring to the section about preparing, taking
care of deprecated stuff etc. The baseline GTK version for LibreOffice
7.1 and master is 3.20. If all the items in the preparation guide can be
done in GTK 3.20, then it's fine to submit patches for them. You just
have to be careful not to use stuff introduced after 3.20.

Ilmari