Dropping X11 VCL backend

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Tue Dec 29 16:29:42 UTC 2020

Chris Sherlock wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2020, at 6:43 pm, rene at rene-engelhard.de wrote:
> >> If not, may I ask the reason? It seems maintenance heavy.
> >
> > Big endian architectures where skis does not work?
> >
> > In debian: s390x

Currently, skia doesn't even build on x86 (and their upstream has, uh,
portability pretty low on their list).

> I asked before, but in the X11SalGraphicsImpl::supportOperation(),
> it seems to be checking to see if the X Server supports
> XRender. Hopefully I’m reading the code right. If I am reading that
> right, are there any distributions that ship X11 *without* XRender?

I believe that's the wrong question to ask - there's always going to
be a fringe use case where Xrender is not (easily) available. Old, or
remote X11 comes to mind.

So either we suck it up, deprecate the feature, give it some time &
remove it - or we don't if it's ~easy to retain. ;)

My 2c,

-- Thorsten