Signature process in LibreOffice 6.3

Steve Martin Steve.Martin at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 7 19:13:52 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

thanks for your fast reply.

> Note that "Document signatures shall contain a <ds:Reference> element
> *for each file within the package*", and the contents of Thumbnails is
> not listed aming the exceptions.

I've understood. The file documentsignatures.xml needs a <ds:Reference>
element for my "Thumbnails/meta.xml" file. Therefore the signature fails
because the corresponding entry in the documentsignatures.xml file is
missing.

> Document signatures shall be stored in a file called
> META-INF/documentsignatures.xml in the package as described in section
> 3.5 of the OpenDocument specification part 3. Document signatures shall
> contain a <ds:Reference> element for each file within the package, with
> the exception that <ds:Reference> elements for the
> META-INF/documentsignatures.xml file containing the signature, and any
> files contained in the package whose relative path starts with
> "external-data/" should be omitted.

I understand it in that way: If I create a directory with the name
"external-data" and put files into that directory, these files remain
unaffected by the signature check (unlike my file
"Thumbnails/meta.xml"). Is this correct? Or are these files just not a
part of the signature while generating the signature value?*

I repeated my test scenario and adjusted the manifest.xml file
accordingly:

<manifest:file-entry manifest:full-path="external-data/meta.xml"
manifest:media-type="text/xml"/>

If I now copy the meta.xml file into the "external-data" folder after
creating the signature, I still get the message that the signature is
invalid. None of the URI attributes of the <Reference> elements contain
the value "external-data/meta.xml".

*(By the way: If I create the folder "external-data" and create an empty
file "test.xml" in this directory with the corresponding adjustment of
the manifest.xml file:

<manifest:file-entry manifest:full-path="external-data/test.xml"
manifest:media-type="text/xml"/>

After the compression I don't have the option to sign my ODT document
(no action when I click on the "Sign document" button, the window in
which I can select the certificates with which I can sign my document
simply closes.))

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve