Proposal to update default Windows build chain to Visual Studio 2019

Noel Grandin noelgrandin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:12:08 UTC 2020

Hi

I propose that we updated our Windows builders to use VS2019 and make that our new preferred baseline.

Visual Studio 2019 is now and truly bedded down, has been through several releases, and is in daily use by at least one
of our developers for some time.

Highlights of the VS2019 compile/build tools:

(*) AddressSanitizer support for projects compiled with MSVC on Windows.

(*) Build throughput improvements, including the way the linker handles File I/O, and link time in PDB type merging and
creation

(*) Lots of C++ conformance fixes and improvements, including some C++20 support

Links:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2019/release-notes
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/overview/what-s-new-for-visual-cpp-in-visual-studio?view=vs-2019
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/overview/cpp-conformance-improvements?view=vs-2019