Tracing where build time is spent

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Tue Feb 18 10:16:14 UTC 2020

On 17.02.20 22:03, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Monday 17 of February 2020, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> the problem is that the MSVC's python binaries won't contain any patches
>> required for LO, and may be configured with a different set of optional
>> modules enabled...  probably it's good enough to pass all the unit
>> tests, but i wouldn't bet on it.  oh, and will it be built with debug
>> runtimes for --enable-dbgutil?
>
>   But the same can be said about system Python on Linux, no? So where's the
> difference?

--enable-python=system is a configuration that only distro packagers
should use, after verifying that the system Python does provide
everything LO requires.  it's not possible to distribute such LO builds
as due to the lack of ABI stability in CPython it would require the same
specific Python major.minor version on the system.

the same applies for many of the bundled libraries on Linux.

the only exception i'm aware of where we likely could be using the
system library on Linux but don't currently is NSS (there used to be a
patch to add some PEM parsing feature to it but i removed it years ago
and nobody complained).

>> Norbert once added some support to gbuild for downloading "binary
>> tarballs" but i don't think anybody used it in years.
>
>   Interesting, I've assumed that it was a decision that everything would be
> always built from source.

i don't remember any details about it, but maybe building the binary
tarballs took more time than it saved.