Tracing where build time is spent

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 12:00:58 UTC 2020

On 18/02/2020 12:44, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 of February 2020, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> On 17.02.20 22:03, Luboš Luňák wrote:
>>>    But the same can be said about system Python on Linux, no? So where's
>>> the difference?
>>
>> --enable-python=system is a configuration that only distro packagers
>> should use, after verifying that the system Python does provide
>> everything LO requires.
>
>   I've been using it for ages too, and it just works for me. And I'm willing to
> bet it'll just work for Windows Jenkins builds too.
>
>> it's not possible to distribute such LO builds
>
>   This is not about distributing anything:
>
> On Sunday 16 of February 2020, Luboš Luňák wrote:
>> It would make sense to have some --with-system-libs=auto which would try to
>> use as much system stuff as possible and print a summary,
>> and --enable-debug/dbgutil could default to it. Even on Windows, e.g.
>> python3 is an optional component installed by MSVC, I don't know why we
>> don't even try to use it.

You left it somewhat unclear what the target audiences for your various
performance improvement proposals are (local builds, Gerrit Jenkins
builds, other tinderbox builds, "official" TDF release builds, ...).

Using --enable-python=system for Gerrit Jenkins builds would trade
significance of those builds ("will a release build with this change be
good?") for build performance.